Meat-filled Cabbage Rolls
The recipe serves around 8 people.
- First, blanch your cabbage for 5-8 minutes in salted water and immediately transfer to cold water to stop the cooking process. Remove the coarse veins and keep aside.
- Sauté onions, caraway seeds with seasoning in butter and continue until onions turn golden. Sprinkle sugar and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to the boiling point and then simmer for half hour, until the sauce thickens.
- Cook onions, garlic, herbs, and cayenne pepper in butter and stir until the onions soften. In this mixture, add rice and stir for a minute. Add this to the stock and simmer for 20min with a closed lid. Set aside to cool.
- To cooled rice, add in the meat, dill, egg, and season to taste.
- Pour some of the tomato mixture into a roasting pan.
- Spoon rice/meat mixture into each cabbage leaf and roll up. Place seam side down in roasting pan.
- You can add another layer over this layer, spread tomato mixture on top of all the rolls. Place leftover pieces of cabbage leaves on top to protect the sauce from burning.
- Cover the pan, bake at 350°F for 2 hours; Find all detail for Ingredients here
Meatless Cabbage Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray cooking oil over a 11x7x1 1/2 inches baking pan
- Get cabbage leaves ready for the filling by immersing them in boiling water and letting it stand for 10 min for until they wilt. Drain the water.
- The filling: fry onion and zucchini and cook for 3 min, till they both are tender. To this, mix, add rice, basil, caraway seeds, chili sauce, and shredded cheese.
- Place filling in each leaf and roll. Keep the rolls seam side down and sprinkle wine on the rolls in the baking dish.
- Now bake this for half hour with a lid.
- Pour more chili sauce and cover the rolls with shredded cheese, then bake for just 5 min till the cheese melts.
- Find all detail on Ingredients here.